Sunday, March 8, 2015

To you I offer, edited version


Dear sister, 
You walked into my room telling me about people,
how we can walk down the hallways every day surrounded by people,
how we can feel completely isolated, excluded, lonely,
how people can just turn away.
How there are 7 billion of us on Earth,
each of us selfish,
each of us choosing to stomp on people,
each of us forgetting the human connecting us,
each of us lonely.
You tell me about how people are born to play the victim,
throwing out accusations like words used to fill up the spaces of silence.
You told me how people forget how the silence screams volumes
and the harsh sounds that entraps and entangles offs our mouths curve their way into shattered porcelain.
But dear sister,
you, you craft words into a blanket,
promising me love, promising comfort,
Today I am not lonely, we are not lonely. 
Dear people who shall refuse to smile back at me, 
Today I am thankful for you,
thankful because you made me realize how people create truths.
Truths about someone without knowing anything about them.
2 plus 2 equals 5, or 4, or 6, or 8
but today does it really matter?
Ultimately the most beautiful aspect of human nature is the myriad of truths existing that we ourselves create.
how we all enter life like a blank canvas,
letting the spectrum of different people and cultures and experiences color their stories on it. 
I do not blame you for ignoring me just because other people colored dusk over my name,
I understand how we tend to gravitate towards what is accepted, what allows us to just belong, what makes us a little less lonely. 
Dear everyone I hurt in the past,
I can count the number of times I apologized on one hand.
But today, I am sorry, I am sorry, a million times over,
I broke bones and used them as support for my own heavy ego,
but today I will not allow our friendship collapse, I will carry it on my back. 
Dear friend, 
You are my chess board,
protecting me from becoming trapped by sadness,
Today I am a winner. 
Dear world, 
Are we not all same?
Strip away our names, our face, religion, race, gender, love, hate, the pronoun we use in our love poems,
until we exist only as a looking glass of one another,
we are human,
so naked, so vulnerable, so similar that all we can do is smile,
notice how we share the same laugh,
how our hands curve around each other's like lock and key, like we were created to connect them, created to embrace the wrinkles on each of our fingertips. 
Dear life.
take a glimpse at the person next to you,
take a glimpse into their struggles, their aspirations,
how each person is a separate story, and a good one, composed of complexities, evil, goodness,
but today,
Dear you
stop performing autopsies on chapters you already lost the page number to,
stop wishing for re-dos, reincarnating what you should have said, should have done,
I'll wrote myself into your plot line,
to you I offer a better ending,
one that we all deserve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment