Monday, March 23, 2015

my foggy friend, my foggy fiend

i was cradled into the world yellowed and healthy
in a foggy, monotonous city where most people only drove through, never into
we only stayed until all the pointed fingers and shouted pleas were finally enough to make my mother come home

maybe the fog followed me like a friend
maybe like a fiend

in all respects, there are no foggy days in San Mateo
foggy mornings, the odd foggy mourning, maybe
the weather is a year-round mild

so, friend:
i am blind, i see no longer like my small handed days
guide me, reassure me that others too
have felt your wispy fingers curl into their eye sockets
that if now you will take my sight
they too, as the years come, will see no more
ignorance
is a bountiful and lovely thing

so fiend:
i am blind, i see no longer
leave me, your hands
have stripped me of color
my mind knows no relief in a rising sun
there is no new day

and yet

haven't you heard that you can cure cataracts
sometimes glasses
sometimes surgery

go on and follow me, follow me

friend, fiend

i'll rid myself of you yet

i will taste sunlight; i will see stars

tomorrow will know a green stare
and i will know its smile

you may be cold
but when you're cradled by a mother
whose arms know your weight
the love's warmth burns through

the scars ache, the chill bites, you wail
the wounds heal, the heart beats on, i'll try

and so,
i'll try to see past you




 







No comments:

Post a Comment